The aims of our local party include:
- To unite the forces of Labour within the constituency.
- To secure the return of Labour representatives to Parliament and local government bodies, by promoting the policies and principles of the Party throughout the constituency with a view to increasing the Party’s influence within the local community and securing support and membership from it.
- To promote the policies of the Party within the constituency by formulating a development action plan for the Party in the area and to ensure its adoption and implementation by all Party units.
- To provide the opportunity for all individual members of the Party within the constituency to contribute to the development of the aims and policies by ensuring that a full range of Party activities are available to them, including local policy forums, and that they may participate fully in discussion to broaden the political education of members of the Party and to increase their influence over the formulation of the Party programme.
- To establish local policy forums, possibly in cooperation with neighbouring CLPs. The constitution of the Labour Party places an obligation on CLPs to work in pursuit of our aims with trade unions, cooperative societies and other affiliated organisations, and it must consult its members, elected representatives, affiliated organisations, and, where practicable, the wider community in which it is based on policy making initiatives.