I'm delighted to have been selected by the Covingham and Nythe Labour Party to fight the ward for Labour on May 5th 2011. I'm a retired building Control Surveyor with 32 years Local Government service. Currently I work as a part-time administrator and am a member of Unison. I have lived in the Ward for 31 years.
If elected I will:
- Maintain a constant vigil on the Eastern Development Area (EDA) proposals to prevent traffic and flooding problems to existing roads and housing.
- Fight to keep Covingham Library at its present level of service and opening hours.
- Work with the Stratton, Covingham and Nythe neighbourhood policing team to combat crime and disorder.
- Campaign against cuts to the services for the most vulnerable members of our society, the elderly and children
- Campaign to have drains and waterways regularly cleaned and maintained to prevent flooding.
Labour won't make promises we cannot keep. Following the MPs expenses scandal and the Tories broken promises both nationally and locally we understand that that politicians need to show more honesty and respect towards the public. Swindon Labour is not going to make promises it cannot keep. If elected to control the Council, Labour would:
- Increase the road repair & resurfacing budget to end the town's reputation as "pothole city".
- Protect front line services for the elderly and vulnerable.
- Retain the fortnightly refuse and recycling collections.
- Introduce a Community Payback scheme whereby local residents get to have a say in the punishment of anti social behaviour offenders in their area.
Peter Watts, Labour Candidate, Covingham & Nythe Ward.